Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Swim!


This week's word is swim, for which I decided to take a slightly different path. I picked out an image from Corbis and decided to digitally render it completely in type.

I had a sort of idea of the image I wanted to pick for rendering: a zoom-up on a professional swimmer in action. After some browsing, I decided to use this image shot by Sebastian Kahnert in the German Swimming Championships 2012:

            42-34305804

For the rendering, I used Photoshop CS5, building a layer of words for each part of the face and applying a mask for definition. I didn't want it to look too crazy, so I preferred to stick with the word 'swim' for all the layers; in the same font and size. As for colour, I used the eyedropper tool to derive the colour of each area, and applied a 1 pt stroke in a darker colour (also apparent in the same area).

           1

For the water, I used three layers: one for the vast blue, another for the white splashes and a final one for those transparent areas around the swimmer and the bubbles. I refined and softened the edge on the splashes layer, and changed the mode on the bubbles one to lighten, as well as dropped its opacity.

           2

After placing the largest 'blue water' layer in place and removing the original image; this is the result; that's around 870 'swim's in total!

           Swim

I hope you enjoyed it and remember to check back regularly for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment